Club for Growth Action Sends Open Letter To Aaron SchockLink to Article: http://www.clubforgrowth.org/perm/pr/?postID=1196
Club for Growth President Chris Chocola: “You understandably would like to hide the reality that you are a pro-stimulus spending, pro-ObamaCare, pro-debt limit increase, pro-tax increase, pro-labor ‘Republican’, but all the evidence points to that very fact.”Washington, DC - In response to Illinois Republican Congressman Aaron Schock’s defensive reaction to www.PrimaryMyCongressman.com, Club for Growth Action today sent Congressman Schock an open letter from Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. The content of the letter can be found below:
Congressman Aaron Schock
U.S. House of Representatives
328 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
Dear Congressman Schock,
It’s notable that you have chosen to respond to Club for Growth Action’s new website, www.PrimaryMyCongressman.com, with a desperate attempt to hide your liberal voting record. The fact is that any empirical analysis proves that you have consistently voted against policies that would limit government and increase economic growth since you entered Congress.
If you were truly the fiscal conservative you claim to be, you would have no problem answering the following questions:
• When you voted against cutting all of the spending from President Obama’s failed “stimulus” bill, was that because you are a big spender at heart? (RCV #42, 2009)
• When you voted to increase the debt ceiling by $2.1 trillion, was that because you wanted to give President Obama more money to spend? (RCV #690, 2011)
• When you voted for a budget extension that funded ObamaCare, was that because you secretly like ObamaCare and want to implement it? (RCV #579, 2012)
• When you were one of only 13 Republicans who voted against blocking funding for a National Labor Relations Board lawsuit that would have infringed on a worker’s right to a secret ballot in union elections, was that for the benefit of your friends in big labor, or the people of the 18th Congressional district? (RCV #229, 2012)
• Speaking of your pro-labor union voting record, how do repeated votes for Davis-Bacon wages on government projects, which are nothing but giveaways to Big Labor, benefit the hard-working taxpayers of Illinois’s 18th Congressional District? (RCV #122, 2009; #414, 2011; #395, 2011; #144, 2011; #585, 2011)
• When you were one of only 41 Republicans to vote against cutting $1.2 million from the budget of the U.S. Botanic Gardens, located in Washington, D.C., did you mistakenly think it was located in Illinois’s 18th Congressional District? (RCV #371, 2012)
• When you voted against 40 out of 45 amendments to cut spending in the last Congress, was it because you think all government programs are necessary and that there is no waste to be cut out of the budget? (LINK)
• When you claim you voted for a tax cut in the “fiscal cliff” tax increase deal, do you think that the other 151 Republicans who voted the other way voted for a tax increase? (RCV #659, 2012)
Congressman Schock, your liberal record speaks for itself. You understandably would like to hide the reality that you are a pro-stimulus spending, pro-ObamaCare, pro-debt limit increase, pro-tax increase, pro-labor “Republican”, but all the evidence points to that very fact. Your actions as a member of Congress matter, and because of you and your votes, taxes and debt are higher, ObamaCare is funded, labor bosses receive their handouts and both your constituents and Americans have less economic freedom.
Congressman Schock, please stop pretending to be a fiscal conservative. The voters of Illinois’s 18th Congressional District are not blind: they can tell when someone is pretending to be something they’re not.
President – The Club for Growth
Club for Growth Commends Chairman Camp’s Outline For Pro-Growth Tax ReformLink to Article: http://www.clubforgrowth.org/perm/pr/?postID=1195
Washington, DC - The Club for Growth issued the following statement today commending House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp (R-MI) for pushing pro-growth tax reform that lowers marginal rates as well as eliminating loopholes and deductions:
“Chairman Camp deserves credit for attempting to tackle tax reform using pro-growth principles, despite opposition from President Obama and the liberals who simply want tax increases,” said Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. “Lowering marginal rates in conjunction with closing loopholes and deductions would kick-start the economy. The tax code is littered with special-interest preferences that distort the free market and hold the American economy back. We hope Chairman Camp and the Ways and Means Committee members develop a new tax code that is as flat and fair as possible.”
Club for Growth Action Launches TV Ad Campaign Targeting Obama Ally Mark PryorLink to Article: http://www.clubforgrowth.org/perm/pr/?postID=1194
Washington, DC - Today, Club for Growth Action announced a six-figure TV ad buy calling Arkansas Senator Mark Pryor “Obama’s best ally in Arkansas.” The ad will start running throughout Arkansas on broadcast and cable stations tomorrow.
“Mark Pryor’s liberal record is out of touch with Arkansans, and it’s time to hold him accountable” said Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. “Mark Pryor stood with Obama on ObamaCare, the failed stimulus, and bailing out the Wall Street banks. While Arkansans have had to balance their checkbooks, Mark Pryor has joined with the liberals in Washington to recklessly spend our tax dollars on the Obama agenda. It’s time to defeat Obama ally Mark Pryor and replace him with a true fiscal conservative. A vote to re-elect Mark Pryor is a vote to support Barack Obama and his tax-and-spend agenda.”
Script for “Only One” (TV :30)
HE’S THE ONLY ARKANSAN IN CONGRESS TODAY WHO VOTED FOR OBAMACARE.
THE ONLY ONE WHO VOTED FOR THE OBAMA STIMULUS.
HE JOINED OBAMA TO BAIL OUT THE WALL STREET BANKS.
WHO IS HE?
HE’S SUPPOSED TO BE OUR SENATOR, BUT MARK PRYOR IS REALLY BARACK OBAMA’S BEST ALLY IN ARKANSAS.
WHEN YOU VOTE FOR PRYOR, YOU VOTE FOR OBAMA. IT’S THAT SIMPLE.
CLUB FOR GROWTH ACTION IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT OF THIS ADVERTISING.
Club for Growth Action Launches PrimaryMyCongressman.ComLink to Article: http://www.clubforgrowth.org/perm/pr/?postID=1193
Washington, DC - Today, Club for Growth Action launched a new website, www.PrimaryMyCongressman.com. The purpose of the website is to raise awareness of Republicans In Name Only (RINOs) who are currently serving in safe Republican seats. In many of the Congressional districts highlighted, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney received over 60% of the votes for President in 2012, but the incumbent Congressman has a lifetime rating of less than 70% on the Club for Growth’s Congressional Scorecard, which measures the commitment of lawmakers to limiting government and free markets.
The website will offer Club members and the general public the opportunity to recommend primary opponents to the incumbents highlighted by Club for Growth Action, as well as to recommend primary challengers for any Republican member of Congress.
Club for Growth Action will rotate liberal Republicans through the website to highlight their failed records on limiting government. To start, the following Republican members are highlighted:
· Rep. Mike Simpson (ID-02) Lifetime Club for Growth Rating: 58%; Romney % of Vote: 64%
· Rep. Adam Kinzinger (IL-16) Lifetime Club for Growth Rating: 56%; Romney % of Vote: 53%
· Rep. Rick Crawford (AR-01) Lifetime Club for Growth Rating: 56%; Romney % of Vote: 61%
· Rep. Frank Lucas (OK-03) Lifetime Club for Growth Rating: 68%; Romney % of Vote: 74%
· Rep. Steve Palazzo (MS-04) Lifetime Club for Growth Rating: 69%; Romney % of Vote: 68%
· Rep. Martha Roby (AL-02) Lifetime Club for Growth Rating: 69%; Romney % of Vote: 63%
· Rep. Larry Bucshon (IN-08) Lifetime Club for Growth Rating: 68%; Romney % of Vote: 58%
· Rep. Renee Ellmers (NC-02) Lifetime Club for Growth Rating: 66%; Romney % of Vote: 57%
· Rep. Aaron Schock (IL-18) Lifetime Club for Growth Rating: 61%; Romney % of Vote: 61%
“Big government liberals inhabit the Democratic Party, but they are far too common within the Republican Party as well,” said Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. “The Republicans helped pass billions of dollars in tax increases and they have repeatedly voted against efforts by fiscal conservatives to limit government. PrimaryMyCongressman.com will serve as a tool to hold opponents of economic freedom and limited government accountable for their actions.”
Club for Growth Releases 2012 ScorecardLink to Article: http://www.clubforgrowth.org/perm/pr/?postID=1192
Washington, DC - Today, the Club for Growth released its 2012 Congressional Scorecard, which ranks the voting behavior of members of Congress based on issues relating to limited government and economic growth.
To view the Club for Growth's 2012 Congressional Scorecard and all prior Scorecards, click here, or go to: www.ClubForGrowth.org/Projects
“2012 was a difficult year for economic freedom,” said Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. “Whether it was the GOP’s support of massive tax increases or the constant assault on liberty by the Obama administration, the pro-growth caucus in Congress has a lot of work to do in 2013. The Club’s scorecard is intended to help our members and the general public understand who talks a good game on limiting government and passing pro-growth policies, and who backs up their words with votes. We urge the next generation of conservative leaders to keep up the fight in the 113th Congress.”
This year, 28 current and former members of Congress will receive the Club for Growth’s Defender of Economic Freedom Award. Starting in 2011, The Club for Growth required Representatives and Senators to not only score 90 or better on votes cast in a year, but to also have a lifetime score or “LifeScore” of at least 90.
Highlights from the Club for Growth's 2012 Congressional Scorecard:
- Three United States Senators received perfect scores in 2012: Jim DeMint (SC), Rand Paul (KY), and Mike Lee (UT) – all of whom also qualify for the Defender of Economic Freedom Award.
- Senators Pat Toomey (PA), Marco Rubio (FL), and Ron Johnson (WI) had 2012 scores and LifeScores high enough to qualify for the Defender of Economic Freedom Award.
- Two current United States Senators will receive Defender of Economic Freedom Awards for their voting record in the U.S. House of Representatives in 2012: Senators Jeff Flake (AZ) and Tim Scott (SC).
- 18 current House members who received scores of 90 percent or better in 2012 also had LifeScores of 90 or better to qualify for the Defender of Economic Freedom Award. Two former House members qualified as well (Quayle, Walsh).
- Three members of Congress received 100 percent ratings in 2012. Of those, two also have 100 percent LifeScores: Congressmen Justin Amash (MI-03), and Tim Huelskamp (KS-01). In addition, Congressman Paul Broun (GA-10) received a 100 percent rating in 2012 and has a LifeScore of 99%.
- One Senate Democrat scored zero in 2012: Senator Jay Rockefeller (WV). 13 House Democrats scored lower than ten percent.
- Republican Leadership scores in 2012 were: Boehner: N/A, Cantor: 66%, McCarthy: 66%, McMorris Rodgers: 70%, Lankford: 80%, Ryan: 71%
- Democratic leadership scores in 2012 were: Pelosi: 17%, Hoyer: 17%, Clyburn: 18%, Becerra: 18%, Van Hollen: 17%.
- The highest scoring Democrat, Congressman Jim Matheson (UT-04), scored higher than 98 Republicans with a 68 percent. The lowest scoring Republican, former Congressman Bob Dold (IL-10), scored lower than nine Democrats with a 38 percent.
Club for Growth PAC Responds To Haley BarbourLink to Article: http://www.clubforgrowth.org/perm/pr/?postID=1191
Washington, DC - Club for Growth President Chris Chocola issued the following statement in reaction to a report that former Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour is urging donors not to give to the Club for Growth PAC:
“Haley Barbour is a good guy. When he was thinking of running for President, he was more than pleased to attend the Club for Growth's winter economic conference, and he had nothing but nice things to say about us. Now that he's back to his more familiar roles as a lobbyist and Republican Party insider, he is singing a different tune. That’s politics,” said Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. “The truth is, while the Club for Growth PAC has helped elect more Republicans to Congress than just about any other group, our mission and Haley Barbour's mission are just plain different. Haley wants every Republican to win, regardless of how they vote in office. The Club for Growth PAC helps elect candidates who support limited government and free markets. Unfortunately, the two goals coincide less often than the Republican Establishment cares to admit.“
“The more Haley Barbour and Karl Rove attack the work of the Club for Growth PAC, the more it energizes and grows our membership. In 2014, we are looking forward to adding to the U.S. Senate ranks the likes of Tom Coburn, Pat Toomey, Marco Rubio, Mike Lee, Rand Paul, Ron Johnson, Jeff Flake, Ted Cruz, and Tim Scott -- all elected with the support of Club members and despite the initial disdain of the GOP Establishment,” added Chocola.
Photo: Former Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour speaks at the Club for Growth’s winter economic conference. March 5th, 2011
Club for Growth: No Promised Future Cuts Are Acceptable Sequestration ReplacementsLink to Article: http://www.clubforgrowth.org/perm/pr/?postID=1190
Washington, DC - The Club for Growth issued the following statement on recent proposals to replace sequestration:
“Congress should not pass a sequestration replacement that replaces real spending cuts now with promised future cuts,” said Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. “Both the McCain/Graham/Ayotte proposal to replace sequestration with attrition of federal employees and the House GOP sequestration replacement proposal that pushes the cuts into the out years flunk that test and are fiscally irresponsible. The Club for Growth opposes allowing Congress to punt yet again on addressing our spending problem.”
“Congress should keep the promise that it made when both parties voted for the Budget Control Act and enforce sequestration. We expect that the next continuing resolution will fund the government at this level and we urge House Republicans to include deeper cuts, entitlement reform, and stop funding ObamaCare,” added Chocola.
Club for Growth Opposes McCain/Graham/Ayotte Sequester ReplacementLink to Article: http://www.clubforgrowth.org/perm/pr/?postID=1189
Washington, DC - The Club for Growth issued the following statement on the proposal to replace the sequester offered by Senator John McCain (R-AZ), Senator Lindsay Graham (R-SC), and Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH):
“Pushing off spending cuts that Congress promised to make is simply wrong.” said Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. “Fiscal conservatives should insist that the full amount of cuts are made now, and should oppose replacing them with promised cuts that could be abolished by future Congresses. House Republicans have already said that they are willing to allow sequestration to occur, and Senate Republicans should follow their lead. Republicans should keep the promise they made when they helped pass the Budget Control Act into law.”
Club for Growth Response To President Obama’s Remarks On SequestrationLink to Article: http://www.clubforgrowth.org/perm/pr/?postID=1188
Washington, DC - The Club for Growth issued the following statement in response to President Obama’s remarks on the sequester:
“Republicans and Democrats voted for the debt limit deal that included the sequester, and President Obama signed it into law. They should keep their promise to the taxpayers,” said Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. “The cuts that were promised in the sequester should be done, in whole, this fiscal year and not punted a day past when they are supposed to go into effect.”
“Any sequester replacement should cut more, not less. Any sequester replacement should not include massive anti-growth tax increases or include another false promise to do more cuts later. Congress should also finally do something to address the real driver of our debt, which is our unsustainable entitlements,” added Chocola.
Club for Growth Statement on the GOP Debt Limit ProposalLink to Article: http://www.clubforgrowth.org/perm/pr/?postID=1187
Washington, DC - The Club for Growth today announced that it would not make the debt limit proposal offered by the House Republican Leadership a “Key Vote” on its annual congressional scorecard. Club for Growth President Chris Chocola also issued the following statement:
“The Club for Growth will not oppose tomorrow’s vote on the debt ceiling,” said Club for Growth President Chris Chocola. “The Club for Growth will, on the other hand, strongly oppose any efforts during the upcoming debate over the continuing resolution and sequester that fail to arrest out-of-control spending and put sensible limits on the growth of government.”