Barney Keller - January 05th, 2015
Club for Growth President David McIntosh: “In a year in which GOP voters appear likely to have several good pro-economic growth candidates to choose from, Mike Huckabee’s big government record would stand out from the crowd, and not in a good way.”
Washington, DC – The Club for Growth PAC issued the following statement in response to reports that former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee may run for President of the United States:
“As Mike Huckabee weighs the pros and cons of a second presidential candidacy, he should know that the Club for Growth PAC will make sure that Republican primary voters thoroughly examine his exceptionally poor record of raising taxes and spending as governor,” said Club for Growth President David McIntosh. “In a year in which GOP voters appear likely to have several good pro-economic growth candidates to choose from, Mike Huckabee’s big government record would stand out from the crowd, and not in a good way.”
In the past, the Club for Growth has published a series of detailed “white papers” on the economic records of the major candidates for President and intends to do so again in 2016. In 2008, the Club’s paper on Mike Huckabee’s recordas Governor of Arkansas found, among other things that:
- Huckabee raised sales taxes repeatedly, supported an internet sales tax, and backed taxes on groceries, gasoline, cigarettes, and nursing homes.
- Huckabee increased state spending by 65.3%, at three times the rate of inflation. The number of state government workers increased by 20%.
- Huckabee refused to endorse President Bush’s veto of the massively expensive SCHIP program.
- Huckabee raised the minimum wage and threatened to investigate so-called “price gouging” if gasoline prices went up.
- Huckabee is on record opposing school vouchers.
- Huckabee is on record favoring limiting campaign contributions to candidates.
In 2008, a political arm of the Club ran TV advertisements discussing Mike Huckabee’s record as well:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNWoD2mzN04 – includes video of Governor Huckabee calling for various tax increases.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acwKStKQXGU – criticizes Governor Huckabee for supporting various tax increases.